Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Doctor's Visit

Today was Ryleigh's 2 week check up. I was anxious to see how much weight she'd gained and make sure she was eating good since she only feeds on one side at a time. It proved to be quite an adventure as I had to bring Jack along.  I was feeling pretty good because Jack decided he wanted to help pick up Ryleigh from her swing to put her in her car seat. This marked the first physical interaction between them. As he asked, "I help, I do it" I was relieved that he seemed to be accepting the fact that she's here to stay and his role of big brother

Ryleigh did great her first two weeks of life, going from 6 lbs. 6 oz. to 8 lbs!!! And she grew from 19 inches to 20! Yeah! Although, she'll be quite a chunk if she keeps this up! Regardless, I was happy that she's flourishing! 

As the doctor was undressing her to check her out, Jack's big brother instincts kicked in for the second time in one day. PROGRESS! He walked up to the doctor and said "what you doing to my baby?" I had to constantly reassure him that the doctor wasn't hurting Ryleigh and that she was okay. I have to say I swelled with pride at my well-behaved kids. Jack was so polite and responsive to the doctor and Ryleigh didn't cry once. That's when he dropped the bomb on me.

"Okay, we're finished here. Now you just need to go over to the lab to have them prick her heel for the blood work."

That's when my perfectly held-together kids decided to fall apart. So, here I am in a overly crowded lab waiting room with a two-year-old crying for his juice, milk, daddy, and anything else he could think of while Ryleigh starts to cry for her next feeding since we've now been waiting for 25 minutes.  No measures of distraction tactics would work. So, as I sit there with all these eyes burning holes into me, my pride from earlier quickly fizzled.

Of course, we got through it. As a final measure to ensure Jack was happy and tired before nap time, we went to see Daddy up at work. Nothing like running around the shop to wear out a kid! Now Jack and Ryleigh are napping, and, needless to say,  I am going to guarantee that all other visits are scheduled when Jeremy can come along!

6 comments:

  1. Hey! You still did it! I'm proud of all of you. My mom came in the night before (traveled three hours) just b/c I wasn't brave enough to take Jack too to Ry's first visit! I'm really impressed that Jack didn't freak out when they had to do Ryleigh's heel stick. Great to see y'all yesterday, hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a day! I am glad that Jack is warming up to the very important role of Big Brother to Ryleigh. Glad you got some down time after the chaos. You are a wonderful mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Very impressed! Way to go Ryleigh!! Napping at the same time...you've got this down! That is heaven right there:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's just a coincidence that they nap at the same time since Ryleigh naps almost all day still. I know things are going to change up soon. DARN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad her appointment went well. I remember I didn't know that maddie was going to have to have her foot pricked at the 2-week check up and I think she cried the whole time we had to wait too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always hated the blood work part. I was there for the first one, but Jamie had to take Gisele into the room by himself every other time. I waited outside so I could comfort her (or have her comfort me!) afterward!

    ReplyDelete

The Schindlers

The Schindlers
our increasing family

About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my husband Jeremy of 10 years, a mom to my 6 year old, Jack and 3 year old daughter, Ryleigh, and our 1 year old, Henry.