After having a few successful BMs on the toilet the past week, I decided to go hard core on him again with only big boy underwear and no diapers. Saturday, he decided to hold his pee all morning. He woke up at 7:30 and didn't go even before his nap at 1:30. Since he hadn't gone (not even accidents), I felt it would be best to not put a diaper on for nap time so he would feel the difference between wet and dry. I checked on him right before he woke up and still dry. Not 5 minutes later, he was sitting up in bed in a puddle. The afternoon wasn't much different.
Day two: so far today, he has had one accident, and NO successful eliminations in the toilet!!!! I've tried to give him choices (advice from a friend) like "do you want to go to the potty now or in 5 minutes?" or "Do you want to walk to the potty or for me to carry you?" Both of which I get the reply "I NOT go to potty!" With that said, he does NOT want a diaper. He is pretty attached to his big boy underwear. At least I've got one thing going for me!
At this point I will PAY someone to potty-train him for me. I really don't want him in diapers for his 3-year-birthday bash!
I was just thinking about calling you to see how it's going. I think I'll wait:)
ReplyDeleteI think I gave you all of our tools that we used with Mallory. Can you threaten to take away his big boy undies unless he pees/poops? "Well, if you don't go pee pee then we can't (fill in the blank)" That usually works pretty well for Mallory. Sorry friend! It is not fun!!
Don't give him a choice AT ALL! I made sure that Jack got to decide all the piddley little crap - what color cup, what show, WHICH UNDERWEAR, but when it came time to go to the potty, it was just time. "Time to go potty! YEA!" Sounds like he's getting it though. Jack had several pee accidents the first day (b/c I was forcing him to drink so much). From day two on I cut down the trips to the potty to roughly every 1.5 to 2 hrs - that seemed to reduce his stress about it. He had a sticker chart too - columns for poo & pee. M&Ms for everything and I gift wrapped Matchbox cars for poo prizes - that was the ticket. They sat where he could see them and when he'd ask for one: "Prizes are for poo in the potty." Oh, tried peeing on the tree outside yet? That was good too.
ReplyDeleteOh, Katie. I do not envy you but know that I will be there in a couple years. Keep up the hard work. You are such a wonderful mom! I'll be calling you for advice then, okay?
ReplyDelete