Thursday, June 14, 2012

Why I Do What I Do

This week I have organized and hosted Science Camp at CTCS for students. This is my second summer to do it, and it has proven to be a great source of supplemental income for my family, among other things.

This year, I tried to be ambitious and host 2 sessions, one for new comers and one for repeat campers with fun, new experiments. Both have gone smoothly with great turn outs. It has allowed me to channel my teacher-side that I will admit I have missed some this past year with being at home. I feel so in my element in front of a classroom. It's one aspect in my life where I don't question God's direction. He has created me to work with kids in one capacity or another.

Now, the flip side...my own kiddos.

I had childcare arrangements worked out for the week for both the morning and afternoon sessions and was actually so grateful for God's provision that both were FREE, meaning my efforts for science camp income weren't going to go right back into someone else's hands. Then, several things happened, like they inevitably do, and it left me scrambling to find someone to watch my kids. I am SO BLESSED to have family in town (thank you Lynnsay Macey and Katherine Stewart and my sweet mom) for bailing me out a couple of times!

So with the hustle and bustle of making sure I remember my last minute supplies, packing lunches, snacks and bottles and diapers, I have snapped a few times. I have rushed my kids, I have packed them down like mules and have toted them non-stop from one place to another all week. I have laundry piling up to the ceiling. I have yet to cook dinner, unless a frozen pizza counts. My house is so dirty as is evidenced by Henry's behind (He scoots around on his butt instead of crawling, so it's always a litmus test as to how dirty my floors are.) We are out of the essentials around here, which is milk and juice.  Is my family traumatized by it? Probably not. Has it left me evaluating things? You bet!

As a mom who had a baby and went back to work (two out of three times), I know how chaotic my life was. That snippety, rushing, frazzled mom was me, all...the...time! Or at least I felt that way. That was one of the main reasons that Jeremy and I decided for me to stay at home this past year. We both really wanted me to be able to pour into our kids and family the amount that it deserved, not just the left-overs. I know for some families, this isn't an option. I know because the first two babies, it wasn't for us either. God heard the desires of my heart and provided for me this past year to be at home. I had promised to never take for granted the blessing and answered prayer that this is. I think that science camp has been a reality check from the Spirit to keep this vow and thank the Lord again for his provision for our family. To realize just how special it is to spend this time with my kids while they are so young and impressionable. For this time, I am grateful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Schindlers

The Schindlers
our increasing family

About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my husband Jeremy of 10 years, a mom to my 6 year old, Jack and 3 year old daughter, Ryleigh, and our 1 year old, Henry.