Monday, April 30, 2012

Character Awards

I attended CTCS (Central Texas Christian School for you non-locals) from kindergarten to 8th grade, and I have to say that one of my fondest memories is character awards. I love that the school still holds this tradition as it speaks volumes to the heart of the mission of the school...to build Christ-like character. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to be recognized for hard-earned academic feats as well, but there is something about your teacher telling you things that they have noticed about you throughout the year in your character towards others. Often times, it is so hard to see God's hand at work, and I remember even as an adult so desperately wanting my spiritual gifts to be written across my forehead.

Character Awards evolved for me as a teacher at CTCS. I knew it would be coming, so I was making mental notes all year long. I was so elated to get to pass out the awards that I had prayed over and felt were so well suited for my students.

Now, this ceremony is even more precious for me as I get to watch my son, Jack, receive a reward. Of course, I would love to take credit, but since Jack has been growing in his understanding of God's Word, I can truly see the Spirit at work within him. In pre-K3, he received fairness...this still holds true as he has a high sense of justice and wants everyone to receive fair treatment (especially when it comes to him and sister). He is now able to show this trait with more grace. In Pre-K4, he received honor.  His teacher spoke of how he treated everyone with high esteem and respect. This year in kindergarten, Jack received friendliness. Mrs. Teague spoke of how he never turns someone away if they want to play and in return everyone wants to befriend Jack. She said that he is welcoming to all he meets. WOW! Can you imagine the man that God can mold this little boy into and how he can serve His kingdom?! It truly gives me chills.

Jack, I am so very proud of the boy that you have become and the little man that you are becoming. It is going by way too fast, even in front of my own eyes, but this is the way it goes. I pray that I will be a guide and role model that withholds our Father's standards. I love you!         ~Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Schindlers

The Schindlers
our increasing family

About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my husband Jeremy of 10 years, a mom to my 6 year old, Jack and 3 year old daughter, Ryleigh, and our 1 year old, Henry.