Friday, June 22, 2012

A Black Thumb

I considered using the title, "What Pride Will Drive You to Do", because I was motivated by a lot of humiliation today as I tried to spruce up my front porch area. 

I have never been a gardener, or really enjoyed it for that matter. Back when we first moved to our home, however, I did keep up the front flower beds with seasonal flowers and pull weeds. That was also when I only had one child to keep up with and attend to...hmmm...am I sensing a connection between added kids and the decline of my yard?

Well, today, Jack had a friend come over to play, and I shamefully admit that at 8:00am I went outside and dumped my dead potted plants and pulled some weeds out of embarrassment with how awful and uninviting it looked. I feel like part of my role as a home-maker is to make my home welcoming and inviting and I felt that I was totally failing. I do NOT like to fail at things!

So, after Jack's friend left and Jeremy was home from work, I called my mom (who has an amazing front porch and garden in the back yard) to help me pick out some plants that would do well in my yard. She also was so great and helped me plant the potted stuff by the front door. 

 Here are the things we got for the front door area. They get MAYBE 2 hours of sun first thing in the morning and shade the whole rest of the day. I LOVE the pot with the cascading plant on the right!


 Then this bed gets more mid-day sun. Still need to buy some mulch to cover them and make it look a little more polished.

Here is the overall look. I really wish I had a before picture, because it was VERY SAD!

Last thing on my list is to either make or buy a wreath for the door. I would like a generic burlap type wreath that could be tweaked for different seasons, so if you have seen one or have an easy how-to, please let me know.

I really should have gone with the Shameful Pride title because, HELLO, isn't that what this post is all about? I care WAY too much about what other people think, admittedly, BUT this does make ME really happy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Schindlers

The Schindlers
our increasing family

About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my husband Jeremy of 10 years, a mom to my 6 year old, Jack and 3 year old daughter, Ryleigh, and our 1 year old, Henry.