If you haven't read the book the Five Love Languages, you really should. Jeremy's primary love language is gifts. Forever I thought this was a shallow and materialist love language. I mean, really??? I have to buy your love? The more that I have had to learn his language, the more I really realize how much time, effort, listening observantly and intention has to take place to really speak it fluently. I have improved minimally since Jeremy and I first got married.
If you know Jeremy AT ALL or have even talked to him briefly, you know that his favorite band and biggest obsession is U2. This year they released an anniversary set of their album Achtung Baby. Jeremy sold several items on Ebay so he could cash in on the collectors set complete with Bono's "The Fly" sunglasses. So, I though it fitting to get him a custom neon sign that says ZOO TV, the name of their tour for that album, for his birthday present this year. I wish I were creative enough to have come up with this gift idea on my own, but this was something that Jeremy had mentioned a long time ago that he'd like to have. (Hint for others out there who are learning GIFTS as a second language: I key in ideas on a notepad app on my phone any time he mentions something that he would like.)
Jeremy's birthday is 10 days after Christmas and I always feel sorry for him like his birthday presents are really just extra Christmas gifts that were set aside. So for most of the 9 years that we've been married, I try to make a big deal out of it and make it special.
Also, if you know Jeremy, you know he is really good at getting what he wants and talking people into things. As a result, I almost always cave and give him his birthday present early. This year, he got his present today, December 29th...7 days early!
So, he had to HUNT for his present. I made clues that sent him all over the house, starting with this one...
The final one led him to a box that contained his present. He had to go get his Fly sunglasses to pose with the neon. He was like watching a little kid! LOVE it!!!Jeremy, I hope that today you feel loved. I hope that through your love language of gifts you know that I care for you so deeply. You are the perfect match for me is so many ways. You level out my neurotic tendencies. You make sure that I loosen up and have fun. You are the best father to our children. Your cooky sense of humor always makes me have the giggles. Happy birthday, Mister! I love you with all my heart!
No comments:
Post a Comment