Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sharing the Bed

Jeremy is a snorer. A BAD snorer. The kind of snorer that scares you awake and makes you want to smother him with a pillow to make it stop. Okay, so maybe I shouldn't have admitted that last part. The truth is it is so awful I once recorded it to prove that I was not being over-dramatic as he often accuses me of being.

It didn't use to always be this way. For our first 4-5 years of marriage, I rarely remember him snoring unless he'd had a particularly late night or had drank some alcohol. Even then, it could easily be cured by asking him to roll over. It has gotten increasingly worse over the last 4 years.

Back when Ryleigh was born, I convinced Jeremy to go in for a sleep study after I noticed that along with his snoring, he had moments where he seemed to stop breathing. They said he had an acute case of Sleep Apnea, but stubborn Jeremy refused to get fitted for the breathing mask, the C-PAP, insisting it wasn't that bad.

After Henry was born and I was having to wake so much in the night to feed, I really needed my sleep that I did get to be uninterrupted by snoring, so Jeremy graciously slept on the couch. A couple of nights turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. We haven't shared a bed since Henry has been born except maybe twice for half the night until one of us got too frustrated and moved to the couch.

So, Jeremy went back to the sleep clinic and they did another study on him this time using the C-PAP. They used the results from 2008 (the first one) to show he did already have sleep apnea. He was having about 12 episodes an HOUR back then and it is much worse now. With the C-PAP he only had 2 episodes ALL NIGHT. Jeremy was ready to consent this time as the fatigue of not ever really resting was starting to wear on him.

Last night, I am proud to say that I got to share my bed with my husband, wait for it, SNORE FREE! I love the intimacy of sharing my bed with Jeremy. I like being able to look over and see him there and the sense of safety it gives. I love being able to snuggle up to him on these cold mornings before the kids start to stir. I love that it makes me feel less like his roommate and more like his chosen helpmate.

Thank you C-PAP for allowing us to share our bed once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Schindlers

The Schindlers
our increasing family

About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my husband Jeremy of 10 years, a mom to my 6 year old, Jack and 3 year old daughter, Ryleigh, and our 1 year old, Henry.