Monday, January 2, 2012

Slightly Narcissistic...

nar·cis·sism
noun
1. inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love;vanity.
2. Psychoanalysis . erotic gratification derived from admirationof one's own physical
or mental attributes, being a normalcondition at the infantile level of personality development.


Okay, so I'd really like to think that I'm not a narcissist, but I do teeter pretty close to the definition of number 1 when it comes to my kids. I don't know if it's the fact that I want to believe that the end result of my 9 grueling months of pregnancy and hours of labor is a product that at least slightly resembles me, or I'm just obsessed with thinking that I have superior genes that should be exemplified in my offspring. It's not like I don't think Jeremy is attractive; I did marry him after all. There is chemistry there. So, what is it?

I'd like to believe that I am not the only mom out there that has taken offense when a friend or an innocent by-stander has said something to the effect of "oh, she looks just like her daddy." My immediate response is to bark back, "well, she actually does have some of my features when I was a little girl", but instead I usually just have a polite smile and agree through gritted teeth.

So, in an effort to purge myself of my narcissistic tendencies, I'm putting it all out there. I'm posting pics of some similarities between me and my girl. The blond hair and blue eyes are so obviously from her daddy, but she does have some of her mama in her too. And if you don't think so, just grin obligingly and agree!
This is me, my mom and little sister, Melissa, somewhere around 1985.
Here's my Ryleigh-girl around the same age. Love how we have the same squinty-eyed smile and face shapes.
Me again around 3 years old, I believe.
Ryleigh noticeably has her daddy's eyes, but I'd like to think that if you cover them up, the rest of the face comes from me.

Me and my brother, Brian (I think looks like Jack, or is that the disorder again?)
I know that my children are gorgeous creations of my Father regardless of what they look like. Their personalities are so charming and hilarious all the same. Just had to put out there one of my weird quirks/disorders! :)

2 comments:

  1. This cracked me up! And she DOES look like you. And you know that I wouldn't just tell you that. :)

    ReplyDelete

The Schindlers

The Schindlers
our increasing family

About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my husband Jeremy of 10 years, a mom to my 6 year old, Jack and 3 year old daughter, Ryleigh, and our 1 year old, Henry.