When I was in kindergarten through 8th grade, I was blessed enough to have parents make the financial sacrifice to place me at CTCS so that I might have a Christian education. I look back on these years with deepest nostalgia. One of my favorite things to recall is character awards at the end of every year. Being someone whose love language is words of affirmation, this met my emotional needs perfectly. Basically, your homeroom teacher would choose a character trait that you displayed throughout the year and would talk about why they chose it for you. Now, I have the pleasure of being on the other end. I not only get to give my students character awards, I also get to watch Jack receive them. Last year, he received the award of "fairness". His teacher said that he always wanted to be sure everyone was treated equally and just.
This year, as displayed in the above picture, Jack received "honor". His sweet teacher talked about how he not only honored teachers and authority figures, but also gave attention and courtesy to his friends. I couldn't be prouder as I watch God mold this little boy as his Holy Spirit does its work.
As part of the award ceremony, the teachers also had the children sing some songs. "Open the eyes of my heart" was my favorite! The kids shouted out the chorus and had all the sign language memorized. It brought tears to my eyes to see these 4 and 5-year-olds singing praises to our Lord. We then went to the classroom where we had snacks and hand-made goodies from the kids. Jack's class also recited the books of the New Testament that they've been working on throughout the year. I was so impressed and at the same time convicted of how much more I could be doing with Jack at home. He is such a sponge and I want to take advantage of these impressionable years to impart the wisdom of God's Word.
Jack, I LOVE you, cherish you, and am and always will be so PROUD of you!
Love,
Mom
This is the sweetest thing! I love that Jack received "honor". What a special guy.
ReplyDelete