
Two years ago today, Henry went to be with the Lord after fighting brain cancer for over a year. I really enjoyed looking back through old photos to find some for this post. I enjoyed it most of all, because this is how I remember Henry. I was so scared that after watching him decline and being around him sick for so long at the end that it would be all I'd remember. Isn't it such a blessing that memories and love is so much deeper than that? This first photo is at our place in Stafford when Jeremy and I had only been married a year or two.

I like this picture because it reminded me of what a great grandfather Henry was. He was Pop to Jack almost 3 years and Ryleigh for almost 5 months. He was always willing to play in the yard, go on walks, write with chalk or play on the floor.

This is one photo of when Henry got back after New Year's 2008 right after his diagnosis.


As soon as I walked in the door with Ryleigh, Henry immediately reached out his arms to hold her. He was the first one to hold her at the hospital besides Jeremy and I. I know he'd love and laugh at the little diva she's grown into.

Today we went out to the cemetery with the family. We showed the kids the grave stone and then had a picnic lunch by the duck pond. The kids enjoyed feeding bread to the ducks, then we read the book God Gave Us Heaven. This is a great book with kid-friendly language that explains a lot about heaven. You can find it at LifeWay.


I miss Henry around the table at dinner. We would always exchange glances of "oh goodness" as soon as Margo or Jeremy would get into something. We'd also always end up being the last two still seated as we talked afterwards. He seemed to get me and understand my relationship with Jeremy in a way not many people do. I'm so glad that his memory and his many great qualities live on in these two. I know he'd be proud!
I'm so sorry for the loss of such a special man. I love how much you honor him! I'm sure it makes you so grateful for pictures! What would we do without them!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet memorial to your father in law. I know y'all miss him dearly.
ReplyDelete