Henry is still at the VA Hospital on their Hospice in-patient floor. He will not be going home again unfortunately. Since Tuesday he has been sleeping almost continuously. He will open his eyes for very few moments, look around, maybe make eye contact, then go back to sleep. This is what the doctors told us would happen as the end draws near. He is also not eating much food now. We're not sure how long he will continue in this state.
I took the kids to see him yesterday and he did muster up the energy to open his eyes for Jack and then again for Ryleigh. He reached for Ryleigh and pat her on the leg and hand before he couldn't fight off the sleep. It seemed like he had to really fight for those few awake moments.
Before we left, I leaned in close and told Henry about my little project. I am making a picture book of him so that we will have plenty of material to use to tell Jack and Ryleigh all about him. I assured him that his grandchildren would know about the wonderful man that he is and was. Even though his eyes were closed, he tried to mumble something. I know he was appreciative. I was glad that I got to share that with him as I'm not sure how much longer precious Henry will be with us.
You all are in our prayers...
ReplyDeleteDitto Laura. Let us know if we can do anything!!
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for you all and Henry and thinking of you...
ReplyDelete