I watched the mini-series Anne of Green Gables when I was younger and fell in love. I loved Anne's free spirit and, of course, imagination. I always wanted the romanticism of a bosom buddy. As someone who has been known to be somewhat dramatic herself, I loved Anne's quality to express her dilemmas with the perfect phrases and large vocabulary. And who could not fall for Gilbert Blythe head over heels? So, it surprised me that I hadn't read the books until now. I am half-way through Anne and already see so many qualities of this "queer orphan girl" in my own Ryleigh-girl!
Ryleigh has always been so full of imagination; however, Ryleigh is to babies as Anne is to nature. She has many pretend friends, but most of them are her kids. I have been known on occasion to have such a conversation with her:
Me: Can you see David?
Ryleigh: No, mom. He is my pretend son.
Me: (sigh of relief) Oh, okay. Just making sure.
I have also been embarrassed that while checking out in the grocery store line, Ryleigh is clearly scolding her make-believe children for misbehaving. I smile politely at the person in line behind me and say loud enough for them to hear, "Tell your pretend kids it's time to go." Is it bad that I just don't want them to think that my daughter is schizophrenic? I promise she doesn't "see" things or have multiple personalities. Why am I so prideful over some stranger's opinion?
Ryleigh wanders around the backyard, packing her baby dolls (some of which are stowed away in her shirt, aka her pregnant belly) into her jeep. She then takes them on outings to the playhouse or trampoline. On occasion I'm asked to babysit while she runs to the store.
She also has quite the knack for pushing out tears on any and all situations where it MIGHT be deemed necessary to get her point across. It's the end of the world if she isn't allowed to wear her sleeveless white shirt when it's 40 degrees outside because her other shirts just aren't "comfy".
My point with all this being that Anne was a cherished and beloved character because of her "flaws". I want to be the mother to Ryleigh that cultivates her individuality, but with a good dose of reality when needed. I don't want to squelch her imagination or creativity simply because of my own insecurities. I want to accept her fully and completely, but love her enough to reign her in when need be. Here's hoping that my own Anne with an E has her own Marilla at home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Schindler family web page
My Blog List
The Schindlers
our increasing family
About Me
- Katie
- I am a wife to my husband Jeremy of 10 years, a mom to my 6 year old, Jack and 3 year old daughter, Ryleigh, and our 1 year old, Henry.
No comments:
Post a Comment