Monday, December 21, 2009

Unerring Wisdom...

Charles Spurgeon: “Unerring wisdom ordained your lot, and selected for you the safest and best condition. Remember this, had any other condition been better for you than the one in which you are, divine love would have put you there. You are placed by God in the most suitable circumstances. Be content with such things as you have, since the Lord has ordered all things for your good.”

I often go back to this quote when I start to feel like my life map hasn't exactly taken the turns that I had hoped. It's so reassuring that my Creator knows me so much better than I know myself. He knows how I can best use the gifts he has given me and the appropriate place to share them. He has ordained that I am placed where I can be most refined for holiness.

It's difficult to grasp that THIS is the "most suitable circumstance" for me and my family right now. The holidays have always been a joyous occasion for me. I haven't had to deal with much hardship. Now, I am finding that facing this holiday is such a mix of emotions. I miss my sweet friend, Nannie (my dad's mom). We talked often on the phone and I would visit as much as I could. It's so weird to think that it's been over a year since I've heard her voice. She would relish seeing all of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren get together this holiday season. I so wish she could see her namesake, Ryleigh Hazel. I praise my God that she is no longer in a frail body but is rejoicing with the Son this Christmas. She was a deeply spiritual woman, and it brings a smile to my face to picture her at the foot of her king.

Our circumstance this Christmas also has us celebrating without our sweet Henry. I will miss his great conversation at the dinner table, and especially the side glances we'd make at each other whenever Jeremy or Margo would make some off-the-wall remark. I am sad that his grandchildren will not grow up with him around, but I know that Henry did God's work here. He left a legacy of Christ-seekers as his son now joins me in raising children in God's truth.

I have to know that this is the lot that only divine love CHOSE for me and my family. It has brought us closer together and taught us to cherish each other. It helps me to be less selfish with splitting time between families around the holidays, and instead focus on just being together. It has given me compassion for other families that are hurting and showed me how to best serve them.

Most of all, it helps me remember that when God sent his precious son as an innocent infant so many years ago, he did so with the divine wisdom that he would suffer. That his precious gift would go through pain. Doesn't this have so much perspective? And doesn't it give you so much peace to know that the Creator of the Universe knows you so personally and cares about you so deeply that he has placed you in the most perfect of circumstances.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that, Katie. I am always so inspired and moved by the things you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was awesome Katie, thanks for sharing. Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED this post Katie. Missing Nannie as well and hearing her voice. You're right though, she is in a better place now and no longer suffering. What a blessing to have her as our grandmother.
    It was great seeing you guys over Christmas.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete

The Schindlers

The Schindlers
our increasing family

About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my husband Jeremy of 10 years, a mom to my 6 year old, Jack and 3 year old daughter, Ryleigh, and our 1 year old, Henry.